Saturday, August 2, 2014

My Favorite Breakfast With A Twist

I love potatoes, especially fried. I love bacon. The quintessential breakfast involves both. The 14 Carrot Restaurant down the street serves a plate of fried potatoes and onions served with cheddar cheese melted on top and sides of sour cream and a tangy, vinegary pico de gallo (a chop of jalapenos, onions and bell pepper). Add a side of their thick bacon and leisurely read the Sunday paper, what a treat. 

We keep Simply Potatoes Brand potatoes on hand and bacon in the freezer. This morning I fried up some bacon, added a bag of Diced Potatoes with Onion to the pan (yes into the bacon grease). I fried them about two thirds of the way, removed them to a plate. As I like a lot of onion in my fried potatoes, I chopped half of a sweet onion and fried it until soft. Adding the potatoes to the onions, I finished frying them. Hot on the plate I topped with cheddar cheese grated fine. Out of sour cream I used a Cilantro Chive Yogurt Dip (from Trader Joe's if your area has one). Wow, I have to say it was better than the sour cream. Adding a tasty cool creaminess to a bite of potatoes and cheese. If I could figure out how to keep their pico de gallo fresh on hand, it would have been over the top.


No comments: