Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Quick And Easy Meaty Breakfast

I love Seattle's Voula's Offshore Café’s Hobo Omelet’s. It's so large and substantial you can eat it for a couple meals. And, with sour cream on the side and toast with blackberry jam, yum city! Maybe it's how I grew up, but a substantial, meaty breakfast is so comforting and enjoyable.

Recently, because of need to be away for a week with the power off, I had to complete clean out my top- of-the-refrigerator freezer. I took some to my sis-in-laws, but got rid of a lot that hadn't been used in the time it should have been. I've been carefully and slowly restocking the freezer trying to use things quickly. I can now see what's there and am cooking a lot more from the freezer. I'm thinking about the things that are in there rather than the old "out of sight out of mind" relationship I had with my stuffed freezer. I've come up with a great way to make a quick substantial breakfast or "breakfast for dinner" without tearing up the kitchen and taking a lot of time.

Quick and Easy Plan-Ahead Meaty Breakfast
Ingredients:
1 lb. of sausage (I use Safeway brand Country Style Pork Sausage)
1 med sweet onion, chopped1 package Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns (I like Southwest Style)4 mushrooms, sliced(6 1/2" flour tortillas, eggs, cheddar or other cheese, sour cream for varying dishes.)
Instructions:
Chop onion and fry in oil until soft and translucent. Add the mushrooms about 1/2 way through. Remove to a plate
Fry the package of potatoes as instructed. Remove to the plate with the onions and mushrooms.
Fry the sausage until done. Drain on paper towels. Return all sausage, onion, mushrooms and potatoes to the pan. Stir together and fry a little bit while mixing.
Cool the mixture and pack snack sized Ziploc or other zipping bags. Place all the bags in a large freezer Ziploc bag and freeze.


Here are some dishes I make from the mixture (I also added a bag to a ‘Leftovers Soup I threw together in the crockpot the other day).

Burritos
Place some in a flour tortilla, top with a some cheddar cheese, Enchilada sauce (we like Trader Joe's) and some ranch dressing. Roll up and place in hot oven until toasted. I use the toaster setting on my toaster/convection oven.

Breakfast Burritos
Scramble a couple eggs with salt and pepper. Fill flour tortilla with some of the mixture, scrambled egg, and cheese. Roll tight and heat for around 10 min in oven or toaster over (watching).

Hobo Omelets
Whisk two eggs together with 1 Tablespoon milk. Place the mixture from the bag into a heated frying pan with some butter. Pour eggs on top and mix egg into mixture. Fry until egg done and heated. Turn off heat and top with cheese. When cheese is melted, remove and serve with sour cream.

Regular Omelets
At a rummage sale I bought an unopened Nordicware microwave omelet pan  (available on Ebay for under $2.) Living in a smaller space I’ve experimented with numerous unusual microwave cooking accoutrements, some with success, some not. I decided to give a microwave omelet a try. Instructions were to whip together 2 eggs with 1 Tablespoon of milk. Pour half into one side of the omelet pan and half into the other then, microwave on high for two minutes. (I topped one side with part of a bag of the sausage mixture defrosted plus some grated cheese). Flip the unadorned omelet side on top close the pan and microwave for one more minute. Viola! A perfect omelet with no frying mess. I love the omelet pan and use it regularly serving with sour cream on the side or ketchup for my husband.

No comments: